Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Homemade Almond Granola Recipe

Since Mike and I both love granola(he eats it for breakfast) I’ve been playing around with making it. I’m not sure you could go wrong with any blend of oats and nuts but I ran across this recipe here and decided it was just what I was looking for. The final result tastes great!

P1010353

Ingredients:

1 ) 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats - preferably thick cut

2 ) 1 cup raw nuts, your choice of any mixture (I did a mixture of slivered almonds and whole almonds)

3 ) 1/2 cup shredded or flake coconut

4 ) 1/3 cup sunflower seeds

5 ) 3 tablespoons extra addition - such as untoasted wheat germ, high fiber cereal or flax seed or a combination

6 ) 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (and/or other spices)

7 ) 1/2 cup honey

8 ) 1/2 cup maple syrup

9 ) 2 tablespoons brown sugar

10 ) 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

11 ) 2 tablespoons of water

12 ) 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract


Other Mix-Ins for after the baking:

chocolate chips, raisins, other dried fruits, etc.

Stir together the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.

P1010346 P1010347

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small microwavable bowl, heat gently and pour over dry ingredients in large bowl and stir well.

P1010348

P1010349

Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread granola mixture in a layer over the entire sheet.

P1010350

Bake in the oven 15 minutes, then stir with a spatula. Bake 15 to 20 minutes more until light golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Stir a few times while cooling to break up the pieces - if you want it chunkier, don't stir it too much while cooling. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 5 cups.

P1010352

Enjoy with milk as your morning cereal or use as a yogurt topping or trail mix! Yummy!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Laura Stanley and I have been trying to come up with a different kind of granola to make( or should I say, me to make ;)), something that wold have a substance. I like the kind I make, but we wanted something new to try.
    I love granola and eat it almost every day for breakfast. It's something fast and easy to grab onyour way out to work, etc.

    ReplyDelete