Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

One of my favorite things to get when we go to Panera Bread is their broccoli cheddar soup. It’s just awesome(although so it their baked potato soup) and it always hits the spot! So a few months back when I found a copy-cat recipe online I knew I HAD to try it. It was good. Pretty much just a good as Panera’s soup which made me pretty happy.

So last week I set a new goal for myself. I decided that by the time Monday’s roll around I would have a game plan for the meals we’d be eating during the week. Well, I think I pretty much failed week one. For once I did know last night what we’d be having tonight but normally I find it hard to plan much more than 2 hours in advance. Regardless tonight’s supper seemed to be a big hit and Mike yuummmmed his way though it and said I was an awesome cook. I think he may have been just deliriously tired but I was thoroughly enjoying compliments just as much as I’m enjoy him cleaning up the dinner dishes while I blog.

Have I mentioned lately that I have an AWESOME husband? Because I do!! <3

So here’s the soup recipe I’ve tweaked it a little bit but you can follow the recipe if you’d like…

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half (or just regular milk)
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I prefer to use a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and just a sprinkle of nutmeg)
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar

Directions:

Sauté onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve with freshly baked rolls.

*I also put in a squirt or two of Dijon mustard.

Butter, flour, milk & chicken stock

P1010332

Sautéed onions(I didn’t have a whole 1/2 cup)

P1010333

Cheese, carrots and broccoli

 P1010334

Spices

  P1010336

Soup base with spices added to it

 P1010337

Adding all the veggies

  P1010339

Adding the star of the soup… cheese!!!

P1010340

The delicious end result

P1010344

Served with a roll, chicken breast & sparkling grape juice!!

P1010345

 

Bon Appétit!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! Mikey's a lucky guy but you're both so blessed to have each other! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made that last month - it WAS good!! No one in my family liked it though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm.. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love their Broccoli Cheddar soup! Laura makes something pretty close to it at home, and it's always a big hit here, too! :)

    ReplyDelete