Sunday, January 23, 2011

Whole Wheat Quick Bread

Saturday I was feeling in the mood to bake but I didn’t want it to take a lot of time. I ran across this recipe on www.thefrugalgirl.com It’s one of my favorite websites to visit and the bread looked easy since it didn’t require yeast. After tasting the final product I think it’s a keeper. I’m not sure I like it for sandwiches but it’s pretty good with apple butter and Mike said he really like it with honey. I bet it’s make great french toast as well!!

Quick Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel (I’ve never added this, but it might be tasty for a breakfast bread)

1 3/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk (I actually used a combo of plain yogurt and buttermilk today)
1 egg
1/4 cup brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients (except the brown sugar) together in a bowl. I like to use a wire whisk for this purpose.

 

P1010284

2. Mix the egg, milk, and brown sugar together. I did this right in the measuring cup, as you can see, and I use a traditional set of manual egg beaters.

P1010285

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix gently. If you mix non-yeast batters too much, you will end up with a tough, chewy product. Mix just until everything is combined, and do not feel that you must remove every single lump. Lumps are good(in this sort of bread, at least).

P1010286

4. Scrape the batter into a greased loaf pan

P1010287

5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

P1010288

P1010289

Because of the consistency, let the bread cook for 15-30 mins before cutting…

P1010293

Although I didn’t so if you can’t wait I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world. Enjoy with your favorite topping. Mine was apple butter!!

P1010294

2 comments: